The purpose of this document is to define the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (collectively AAOS) policies regarding advertising and sponsorship for the AAOS patient education web site (www.orthoinfo.org).
Advertising placed on the www.orthoinfo.org web site must be ethical, educational, and professional. AAOS reserves the right to reject advertising copy and materials. "Advertorials" or other similar material is not acceptable. AAOS reserves the right to remove, reject, or cancel any advertisement at any time, for any reason, regardless of whether or not an advertisement has run in the past.
Acceptance of any advertisement does not indicate an endorsement by AAOS of the products or services promoted, the company, or the claims made. Advertisements on the www.orthoinfo.org web site may not use the AAOS seal, name, or imply involvement of the AAOS in the company or the product being promoted.
Sponsorship consists of grants in support of various subsections of the www.orthoinfo.org web site. The AAOS recognizes each granting company for its philanthropy in a specific and consistent manner. No editorial statement or endorsement of any company or product is included as part of any sponsorship grant. All financial support of the web site must be provided with no expectations of the AAOS, other than providing the visibility to the company for providing the grant.
- The AAOS accepts advertising on all pages of the www.orthoinfo.org web site.
- AAOS reserves the right to have advertising from different companies represented on a single page of the www.orthoinfo.org web site.
- AAOS will distinguish advertisements from health information content by using identifying words, design, and/or placement.
- Advertisements for products that are subject to U.S. Food and Drug Administration oversight must comply with FDA regulations regarding advertising and promotion.
- The sponsors or advertisers agree to indemnify and hold the AAOS, its officers, directors, employees, contractors, and agents, harmless against any and all damages, claims, judgments, losses, costs, and expenses (including attorneys' fees) that may be incurred, suffered, or sustained or imposed on the AAOS, its officers, directors, employees, contractors, and agents, by reason of the sponsorship or advertisement.
- AAOS will not permit at any time the placement of any advertising for illegal or objectionable products. Advertising must not contain fraudulent, deceptive, or offensive material, including material that misrepresents, ridicules, or attacks an individual or group on the basis of age, color, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or handicap.
- Advertisements that, in the sole opinion of AAOS, make unsubstantiated claims of therapeutic benefit for a particular product(s) will not be accepted. The AAOS may require an advertiser to provide valid, reliable scientific data to support any claims made in the advertisement.
- The AAOS does not accept advertising for the following:
- Annual meetings, symposia, seminars, or CME courses
- Medical publishers
- Internet sites
- Attorneys-at-law or a legal practice
- Orthopaedic surgeons or orthopaedic practices
- Medical expert witnesses
- Other notices that name specific orthopaedic surgeons or practices or link to information about specific orthopaedic surgeons or practices
- Advertisements that include the photograph, picture, or likeness of a specific physician(s) or that includes an endorsement by a specific physician(s) on the AAOS web site.
- Firearms, ammunition, fireworks, gambling, and pornography
- Alcoholic beverages and tobacco products
- 'Advertorials' or other similar material
- Sponsorship consists of grants in support of various subsections of the www.orthoinfo.org web site.
- The AAOS recognizes all sponsorship grants with the following specific statement:
- The AAOS attribution statement will include a copy of the granting company's logo and this logo graphic will be programmed as a hyperlink to the granting company's Internet site home page. Any sponsorship attribution that allows the viewer/reader to click on the link to the sponsor's Internet site requires an intermediate (buffer) page that notifies the viewer/reader that he is leaving the www.orthoinfo.org web site. AAOS will prepare and insert this notice. The link may provide for an additional opening of the computer user's Internet browser program. AAOS will program the hyperlink and buffer page.
- If AAOS receives a grant for a specific program or project, the AAOS provides the granting company attribution on an Internet page for the specific activity.
- Sponsorship grants will be established for specific amounts and time periods.
- AAOS reserves the right to have sponsorship from different companies represented on a single page of the www.orthoinfo.org web site.
- The AAOS accepts sponsorship grants for any landing page linked from the home page. Sponsorship of the home page any AAOS website is not permitted.
- The company providing the grant will not have any input or control over the development process or the product resulting from that process.
<Company Name> has provided the AAOS with an unrestricted grant in support of the <insert site descriptive name> site. AAOS recognizes <Company Name> for its support of this online activity.
Approved by the AAOS Council on Education 1/18/2014
All rights reserved. This website also contains material copyrighted by third parties.